Sada Sheldon, Partner
Sada Sheldon concentrates her practice in trademark and franchise law. As a franchise and trademark attorney she handles trademark applications with the United States Patent and Trademark Office (“USPTO”), USPTO Office Actions, trademark licensing and assignments, the roll-out of new franchise programs, and the renewal of existing Franchise Disclosure Documents (“FDDs”).
Prior to starting her own firm, Sada served as Corporate Counsel to Liberty Tax Service, an international franchisor, for almost three years. While at Liberty she handled litigation matters involving breach of contract, breach of non-compete, and trademark infringement. Her work included researching and writing briefs filed in jurisdictions as diverse as California, Connecticut, New York, and Virginia. Additionally, she worked on many facets of franchise law including the filing of FDDs.
Sada graduated Magna Cum Laude, top 8% of her class, from California Western School of Law in San Diego. She served on the California Western Law Review and International Law Journal as an Associate Writer.
While she was a graduate student in Applied Sociology, she worked as a graduate teaching assistant and gave lectures on various topics. These experiences allow her to bring a global approach to the practice of law.
Sada is married to a U.S. Marine and has a son enlisting in the Navy as an Information System Technician.
- Member of the California and Virginia State Bar
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- Supreme Court of the United States
- California Western School of Law, J.D., 2008
- University of Central Florida, M.A. 2003
- University of Central Florida, B.A. 2001
- ABA, Forum on Franchising
- MSJDN, Military Spouse JD Network
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Presenter, 2014 Houston, New York, and Anaheim Franchise Expos, “Keep it Simple- 11 Cost Saving Tips for the Start-Up Franchisor”
- Presenter, 2013 California Franchise Expo, “Trademark Registration and Protection: Cornerstones of Franchising”
- Presenter, 2013 New York International Franchise Expo; Franchising as a Unit Franchise Owner, Multi-Unit Owner, or Area Developer – How to Decide?
- Presenter, 2012 Norfolk Portsmouth Bar Association Seminar, “Franchise Law.”
- Co-Author, “Is It Time To Franchise Your Business” Inside Business (July 1, 2014)
- Co-Author, “How a Franchisor Can Use Outside Counsel To Save Legal Fees,” Franchise Update Sales Report (July 1, 2014)
- Co-Author, “When Starting A Franchise Brand, Keep It Simple,” Franchise Times (September 2013).
- Co-Author, “From Franchisee to Franchisor,” Franchising USA (December 2012).
- Co-Author, “Choosing Between Franchising as a Unit Franchise Owner versus an Area Developer or Master Franchise,” Franchising USA (November 2012).